Honest and
Dedicated Legal Advocacy

Honest and Dedicated Legal Advocacy

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. criminal law
  4.  » Can I lose my financial aid if I am convicted of a crime?

Can I lose my financial aid if I am convicted of a crime?

On Behalf of | Mar 27, 2020 | criminal law

College is costly, and students may have few options but to obtain financial aid or student loans to attend. Losing any part of an aid package may mean losing out on getting a degree. 

When a student faces a criminal charge for an on-campus crime, there is a chance that if convicted, financial aid awards go away. Discover more about how incarceration may put a temporary hold on college endeavors. 

Financial aid is available for incarcerated students 

Some colleges allow students to continue attending school online, even while confined. However, the availability of financial assistance may prove sparse. According to Federal Student Aid Guidelines, doing time in a federal or state institution bars a student from receiving a Pell Grant or getting federally backed student loans. A student may still receive a work-study award or campus-based student aid, but logistically probably cannot participate in a work-study program. Students confined to a private institution may receive access to campus funds and work-study in addition to the Pell Grant. 

Financial aid eligibility may return after release 

Federal student aid deadlines come and go twice a year. During these windows, students apply for money to attend classes in the upcoming semester. If a student is serving jail time when these deadlines come, he or she may apply and qualify for aid upon release. After jail time, a student may once again become eligible for all federal assistance measures. However, some criminal convictions may preclude this from happening, such as certain types of assault or drug-related offenses. 

It is up to the government whether or not a student’s conviction bars him or her from the receipt of money for college. Remember, too, that some colleges will not accept some type of convictions, especially if they happened on campus.